Wednesday, August 11, 2004

black sheep

Away from entertaining nieghbor stories and day to day junk and back to randon thoughts. before I end my son's life. he is driving me bonkers.

What makes a black sheep of the family? What qualities and patterns of behavior lead to whole braches of family being neglected, left behind, classified as no longer worthy of inclusion?

When I was small I knew we were poor and that we had what I thought of as rich relatives. They were all my great uncles and they would come around and visit on the big holidays as my G Grandmaw lived with my Gmaw and they wanted to see her. They would stop by and chat and be social but we really never talked at any length with them. Later , it turns out, they often told my grandmother and mom that we children would never turn out to be anything other than white trash. We, being small and fond of santa claus, didn't know what that meant.

As I traced my family history it seems I am descended from the balck sheep of every generation, most being women. The men, ustable or entertaining depending on how you look at it, married stable women who took care off them. Their children were raised in stable families and grew up to be a risky, somewhat qualified version of okay.

The women being of a somewhat sensual, slightly manic, decideldly out of the ordinary nature, married men who were even more "interesting" than themselves. They were in a search for a certain type of mate which when they found it lead them into trouble. Men look for a stable mate to raise the kids. Women look for a strong mate